All lab, instruction, and office supplies should be ordered through the department Storeroom whenever possible.
Requests to purchase an item under $5,000 should be emailed to Mike Malone (Storeroom Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information:
- Item(s) to be purchased including size and quantity
- Name of company where item(s) are being ordered and website link (Shop@UW, specific company, etc.)
- Name of Faculty PI
- Course number if item is being ordered for usage in a course
- Funding account details (e.g. 144-PRT1234)
- Any details regarding timeline for delivery (rush order, delivered on a certain date, etc.)
- Location (building & room number) where item should be taken upon arrival at UW
All requests need the above information to ensure item(s) are ordered in a timely manner.
Need to look for a product? Shop@UW allows UW-Madison to order commonly stocked products directly from the Materials Distribution Services (MDS) warehouse, as well as shopping from all the MDS Prime Vendors at one time, through one web site. If you do not have an MDS account code, browse Shop@UW website as a guest using your NetID to view prices and product information, which can be helpful when comparing supply prices. Department faculty and staff who need to establish an MDS account number can contact Zach Rusch (email@example.com).
Need something printed? Visit here for approved printing services.
Before placing the order, Mike will assess if an item is already available in the Storeroom and/or through Shop@UW. When the item(s) have been ordered, Mike will send an email confirming the order has been placed and provide you with any delivery updates.
Orders are all delivered to the department office, 145 Noland Hall, unless you specified a different delivery location in your original request. Upon arrival in Noland Hall, Mike will deliver the item(s) to you.
NOTE: Before placing an order to purchase live animals, please speak with Kate Skogen (Animal Care Supervisor, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Requests to purchase an item above $5,000 should be sent to Rob Winsand (email@example.com).
General Purchasing Guidelines
For purchases under $5,000: Requests can normally be approved and processed without needing any additional information. There may occasionally barriers, such as the intended vendor is prohibited from the university, but this is rare. See “How do I order items?” above. Please check all orders with Mike Malone.
For purchases over $5,000-$49,999: You will need one of the following:
- Vendor and item being purchased are already on contact with the university – search vendors currently on contract;
- Simplified bid in which you collect three comparative quotes and the lowest responsible quote is chosen to make the purchase; or
- Proper justification to waive the need for a simplified bid/three quotes on the Non-Competitive Purchase Request Form (.doc). (Note: Non-competitive waivers over $25,000 require the governor’s waiver, and thus it generally makes more sense to prepare the simplified bid).
For assistance, contact Rob Winsand (firstname.lastname@example.org).
For purchases over $50,000: Contact Rob Winsand (email@example.com).
Capital equipment is an individual item costing $5,000 or more and having a useful life of at least one year. If you plan to purchase capital equipment, contact Rob Winsand (firstname.lastname@example.org). Capital equipment within the department are tagged and inventoried by Duane Barnes. Please do not give or lend this equipment to other departments or institutions, dispose of or destroy, or trade in without contacting the Duane Barnes (email@example.com).
Equipment taken off campus must be insured. See Risk Management’s Property Program for specific details. To report items to the department, contact Julie Lindsey (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Equipment removed from the campus to be repaired, replaced, or returned must have a Return Material Authorization (RMA) before being removed. Contact Mike Malone (email@example.com).