Given the broad nature of the program, there are no strict prerequisites for admission. Interested applicants should identify and contact potential faculty advisors. Admission to the graduate program is contingent upon being accepted by an individual faculty advisor. Applicants should contact potential faculty advisors by email early in the application process to discuss mutual interests and to determine if the faculty member is actively recruiting graduate students. For a list of all faculty members and their research interests click here.
All applicants for admission are also considered for departmental funding. Most graduate students receive an appointment with their offer of admission (either a research assistantship or a teaching assistantship). These assistantships offer remission of all tuition, health insurance, and a salary.
The application deadline is December 1. No late applications will be considered for admission. Most admission decisions will be made, and students will be notified, by March 15.
1. The online Graduate School application must include:
- Official GRE scores: self-reported in the application and sent directly from ETS to UW-Madison (institution code: 1846, no departmental code required)
- Official TOEFL scores for international students: self-reported in the application and sent directly from ETS to UW-Madison (institution code: 1846, no departmental code required)
- Undergraduate GPA for the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework
- 3 letters of recommendation from faculty or supervisors (letters will be submitted electronically through the Graduate School application)
2. You must upload a personal statement (one to two double spaced pages) to the Graduate School application that includes the following:
- Areas of research interest
- Names of prospective faculty advisors
3. You must upload a current CV/resume to the Graduate School application
4. You must upload unofficial transcripts (non-encrypted) in a PDF format from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended to the Graduate School application
For questions or if you have trouble uploading any of the required documents, contact:
Graduate Student Coordinator
B154 Birge Hall
430 Lincoln Dr.
Madison, WI 53706